Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Nightstand Project

I eluded to a spray paint project awhile ago and here's what I was talking about.  I have a nightstand that was my mom's when she was little and that I've had since I was about 7.  There's nothing super awesome about it-- to be honest, it's not the greatest quality and it's lived life off-white.  The drawer is also missing(must be in a box in Minnesota?).  The back was not attractive as it was just a panel of cheap MDF or something similar.  It was time to give this puppy a face lift.

What I Used
Supplies
- Scrap of leftover pillow fabric
- Cardboard
- Batting
- Packing tape
- Upholstery tacks
- Spray paint
- Fabric pen/pencil
- Q-tip
- Ruler/measuring tape
- In the picture you'll see ribbon... I intended to use it around the boarder, but kinda forgot about it in all the excitement :)
Step 1: Look awesome

How the Heck Did I Do it?
1) Put on a super sexy outfit for painting(sweat shorts, calf-high socks and old sneakers didn't make it into the photo)

2) Make sure nightstand is clean and spray paint away, making sure to cover every last bit and add a second coat if necessary.  Let dry.

3) Cut cardboard to fit the area you want to cover.  Cut fabric and batting 2 inches longer and wider than cardboard.  Layer pieces.

4) Pull tight and secure with packing tape.  Check to make sure corners look nice and not bunchy.

5) Using the fabric pencil/marker and measuring tape, mark the lines around the boarder where you'd like the tacks to go.  Insert tacks, starting at the corners, then middle, making sure they are evenly spaced.  Use Q-tip dipped in water to gently rub away pencil marks.

6) Hammer into nightstand, starting with corners.  Go straight and not too hard!  The tacks aren't as durable as nails.

7) Admire your glorious work 



Ta-Da!

Post-paint but before panel is attached...
The only things I had to purchase for this project were the spray paint(a mere $3.50) and upholstery tacks, which are an affordable $1.49 for 24.  So for $5, this turned out pretty chic if I do say so myself!
All Done!

Now to dream up another project!

No comments:

Post a Comment