Monday, March 7, 2011

Previous Project: Welcome!

While I finish up the kitchen, I thought I would share a project I had completed before starting the blog.  We have a relatively long entrance hallway for an apartment.  To fill up the space and to create a warm greeting when people walk in, I spelled out "Welcome" using something different for each letter.

W - Custom order on Etsy, about $10
E - Urban Outfitters, 2 for $14 deal
L - the 2 in the 2 for $14 Urban Outfitters deal



C - We had some extra wood from kitchen shelves, so I just painted the whole thing then painted on the letter using some acrylic paints I already had
O - I've had this mirror for years and it was actually the inspiration for the project.  I wanted to put it in the hallway, but thought it was too small.  That's when I thought "Oh, it's an O!  What can I spell?" and the rest is history.  I have also owned the decorative hook for a long time and thought it was much prettier than regular hardware.

M - This is a cheap Target frame($6) and cut out an M from some fabric I had.  I also cut out some scrapbooking paper for the background.  Originally, the plan was to make an M out of a bunch of Ms cut out of magazines, but this was much quicker. 
E - I bought this at a flea market for $7 and it's made of recycled metal.

Again, easy and it can be as inexpensive as you want!  Letters can easily be made from things you already have around the house-- you just have to think of them in a different way.  There are thousand of words you can spell depending on the message you want to express or amount of space you have.  Between that and the endless possibilities for letters, this can be custom fit for every home and personality. 

We're still waiting to welcome our first visitors!!  Our hallway is here to greet you with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment