Sunday, March 27, 2011

Project Preview: Pillow #1

Front 
I've been spending the weekend working on this next project and thought I'd give you all a little preview of one of the pillows that has been completed.

The ruffle was inspired by a blog I've been checking out lately, Tatertots and Jello.  Her explanation is better than what mine would be and I didn't do a good job of taking pictures along the way.  Whoopsies!  However, here's what my process...

What I Used
- An old throw pillow that I wasn't using anymore(or a pillow form if you want to be fresh and fancy)
- Enough fabric for the main cover(I got a yard of clearance suiting material for $4 and had plenty left over)
- Accent fabric(You can get away with about 6-7" of 44" wide material unless you're making a BIG pillow)
- Ribbon I had laying around
Pinning ruffle
- A cooperating sewing machine

If you don't want to read the long instructions...
... I'll just go over a quick run-down
1) Cut the fabric to fit your pillow(add 1" for seam allowance on each side)  For the back, I chose to do the ol' overlapping thing cause I can never sew a pillow shut and make it look good
2) Cut a strip of the accent fabric about twice as long as the length of where it's going.  Make a tube and turn right side out.
Fabric tube
3) Sew a basting stitch all down the length  of the fabric tube and pull the thread to make a ruffle.  Pin to front and sew.
4) Turn down inside edges of back pieces and hem.  I wanted to fance it up and use some ribbon-- I measured one side and then matched up the other side. 
5) Sew front and back together, turn right side out and insert pillow.  Tie pretty bows(if you're my friend Liz) or not so pretty ones(if you're me).  Finito!


Back

Ta-Da!
I was really excited about this because all the lines were straight and it fit the pillow well.  I'm also happy I used black fabric and didn't try to make the lines too straight on the ruffle-- it looks intentionally shabby that way :)

If you have any questions about executing this little number, please let me know and I'd be happy to advise!

Next up... the project which has my hand covered in spray paint

No comments:

Post a Comment