Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Project #2: Kitchen Shelves

Before
After making the cake stands, I realized I needed a place to display them.  I also have been struggling with the wall space above our washer and dryer.  Eureka!  I'll put shelves above them!




So, off to Ikea we went.  If I was a more patient person, I maybe could have waited to get something at a garage sale or go dumpster diving.  However, once I want to accomplish something, I need to seize the moment.  And really, $12 for 2 shelves and brackets isn't too bad.  Neither are the $1 frozen yogurt cones on the way out.

My Hero
I know everyone knows how to hang shelves, so I won't do the "Materials" and "How To" section.  But there is a one thing that might not be obvious: get yourself a strapping young man to help out when you can't get the screws in all the way.



Ta-Da!
This is still a work in progress and my little display definitely needs some tweaking, but this is what I've settled on for now.




After




Everything you're looking at I had already.  I swapped out old pictures to re-use the frames(top picture is scrapbooking paper, bottom picture I took the other day at the grocery store of some really lovely heirloom tomatoes).  The glass on the bottom I got at a flea market and use as a candle holder.  The Cape Cod growler is Jon's(wanted the guy to feel a little included).  Basically, you're looking at only putting in the money for the shelves and less than $50 over time for everything that you see.  Definitely budget friendly! 

Next project... I'll keep you all in suspense :)

No comments:

Post a Comment