Friday, March 4, 2011

Project #3: Aren't You Plaid? Kitchen Cabinets

Sorry everyone, I can't resist a cheesy title when it pops into my head.

Before
We have 2 open cabinets in our kitchen which I really love(some of that pretty, pretty charm I referred to in an earlier post).  However, there seemed to be something lacking.  Then I had an idea: take some fabric and "wallpaper" the back of them.  It'd be cheap and not permanent-- something both me and our landlords would appreciate.

I've been jonesing for some plaid in the apartment anyhow, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to introduce some.  Off to Jo-Ann Fabrics I went!  Armed with a swatch of the curtain fabric, I found a nice green, cream and black plaid that tied in colors already existing and coordinated pretty well with said curtains.

What You Need:
 - Enough fabric/paper/wallpaper to cover the space
- Measuring tape
- Scissors
- Adhesive(what kind depends on what you're attaching and if you want it to be removable)

How The Heck Do You Do It?
- Measure the space and cut fabric(measure twice, cut once!) Another bonus about striped or plaid: easy to follow lines so you're sure to be cutting straight.
- Put adhesive on the back and attach to the top and smooth as you go down, securing at the bottom.  Just something at the top and bottom were enough for me, with the exception of mid-way up one side which needed to be tacked down.

 Ta-Da!

That's it!  So frickin'-fraggin' easy.  The one issue I had was my first adhesive(scrapbooking sticky dots) didn't hold as well as I thought they would.  But as it turns out, regular ol' packing tape seems to do the trick.  And did it break the bank?  No way!  This is about $3 worth of fabric-- I wish I had had some in my stash that would have worked, but I didn't. 

What I like about this is that it makes my kitchen seem warmer, more colorful and makes me smile a little bit when I walk in.  It also makes the things you love pop against the background.  Not to mention, it can be changed whenever you want quickly and easily!


Sorry for the awful photo-- lighting was an issue.

Anyone can do this project, even if you don't have open cabinets(just take the doors off).  Use anything you want as long as it's relatively flat-- there are thousands upon thousands of fabrics, different types of paper-- even something that might be recycled you can try.  There are no limits to what your creative little brain can think of.  Now go, be inspired and do a fun project this weekend!

Next project... Finishing touches on the kitchen, including curtains

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! I see you have someone helping you in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, just a little inspiration and guidance :)

    ReplyDelete